In the foothills of the Burnett Range, Kalpowar State Forest protects a mosaic of forests. Patches of dense rainforest with towering hoop pines remain between open eucalypt forests and hoop pine plantations. More than 150 plant species occur in the hoop pine rainforest which was first logged in 1918. Fireclay Road got its name from local clay used to make bricks before the plantations were established here. The first hoop pine plantation of about 12 hectares was developed in 1934 and the last available area was planted in 1991.
Picnic or camp in a tranquil bush setting beside Crane Creek near the start of McNae Road. The open grassy camp sites are suitable for families and large groups. Camping permits are required and fees apply.
Dogs (on a leash) are permitted at Kalpowar State Forest, including the camping area.